Cream, chocolate and salted caramel tart

Tarta de chocolate, nata y caramelo salado

Tarta de chocolate, nata y caramelo salado

Tarta de chocolate, nata y caramelo salado

Tarta de chocolate, nata y caramelo salado

{Chocolate, cream and salted caramel tart}

Ingredients

For the crust:

• 250 g all purpose flour (2 and 1/4 cups)
  • 30 g powdered almonds (1/4 cup)
  • 150 g butter, cold, cut into cubes (1 stick + 1 tablespoon or 2/3 cup)
  • 80 g sugar (3/8 cup)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 pinch of salt
  • 1 pinch powdered vanilla
  • For the salted caramel sauce:

• 70 g sugar (3/8 cup)
  • 70 ml heavy cream (1/4 cup)
  • 1 teaspoon butter
  • pinch of salt
  • For the chocolate cream:

• 500 ml heavy cream (2 cups)
  • 350 g dark chocolate (12 oz)
  • For the whipped cream:

• 300 ml heavy cream, very cold (1 cup aprox)
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • Optional: unsweetened cocoa powder for dusting

Directions:

1. Prepare the crust. Whizz all the ingredients in a food processor to a dough. Wrap the dough and chill for 30 minutes. Roll out the pastry and line a deep 24-26 cm tart tin with it; patch any holes if crumbly. Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes.
  2. Preheat oven to 375 ºF. Prick the tart shell all over with a fork and bake about 25 minutes.
  3. Transfer to a rack and let cool.
  4. Prepare the caramel sauce. Place sugar a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Look for the caramel to turn a rich amber colour, then remove pan from heat and whisk in butter and cream (the mixture will bubble up, so be careful!). Pour caramel into cooled tart shell and let cool slightly; refrigerate 1 hour
  5. Prepare the chocolate cream. Chop the chocolate. Bring heavy cream to boil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Put chocolate into a medium bowl and pour in the hot cream. Let sit for a few minutes, then stir until smooth. Pour ganache evenly over tart and refrigerate 24 hours .
  6. Before serving, prepare the whipped cream. In a bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the cream with the sugar until firm. Pipe the whipped cream on top of the pie and dust with some cocoa powdered if desired.

Preparation time: 30 minute(s)

Cooking time: 30 minute(s)

Number of servings (yield): 16-18

Tarta de chocolate, nata y caramelo salado

Autora : Sandeea Cocina

9 Comments a “Cream, chocolate and salted caramel tart”

1. 24 October 2012, 1:21 pm - Jill

Hi, this looks wonderful. Quick question regarding the salted caramel. Should there be water added to the sugar in order to get the sugar to dissolve and then boil? If so, how much water?
    Thanks

Responder a este comentario
  2. 8 November 2012, 10:54 pm - Joëlle

Hi!

I love this recipe from the moment I saw it. But I have a question. I don’t have a tart tin, so I used a baking pan from Wilton with a 90 degrees angle, like the pie on your photo. But the dough melted down during baking so I just had one big crust. Do you know what went wrong, maybe? Should I chill it longer before it goes into the oven?

kind regards,

Joëlle (The Netherlands)

Responder a este comentario
  3. 9 November 2012, 3:41 am - Dagmar

Just made it and it looks so yummy, can’t wait to take a bite of it.
    But I had a question about the salted caramel, cause when you take the caramelized sugar off the heat and then add the cream&butter the sugar hardens immediately and I had to reheat it to disolve the caramel again. Did you use an electric whisker maybe?

Joelle, the dough must be really hard to stay in shape and you must make sure the crust goes high enough (hoog randje maken!). Also, maybe you didn’t roll it out thin enough or didn’t pinch it enough with the fork to let the air escape.

Responder a este comentario
    • 4 January 2013, 9:13 pm - Abby

Hey! So when you are making the caramel, warm up the cream and butter in the microwave just long enough to take the chill off. That way you won’t “shock” the hot sugar by adding cold cream.

4. 27 January 2013, 5:37 pm - Linda.

O que é creme pesado? Gostaria de fazer a torta mas mas desculpe por não saber…poderia esclarecer fico grata.
    Abraço.

Responder a este comentario
  5. 23 September 2013, 2:56 am - E Rubino

wanted to try the chocolate tart

Responder a este comentario
  6. 2 December 2013, 5:43 pm - Joanne

I have been making salted caramel for years. I think the instructions need a little expanding.
    First make sure you have a 2 quart pan as caramel will expand when the cream and butter are added.
    Take a tablespoon of the sugar and put into the pan. When it is melted and started to turn slightly amber in color, add about 2 more tbsp sugar. When it is melted, add a little more sugar and keep doing this until it is all melted. It will gradually turn darker with each additional of sugar + cooking time. It starts off slow and then rapidly melts the hotter the mixture becomes.
    Make sure the milk is scaled in microwave and slowly pour into mixture.
    After about 2-3 minutes, it will come together and be slightly thicker. Add butter. I also add a tsp of vanilla extract.
    As it cools it will thicken.
    You can also use this for a german chocolate topping, just add toasted pecans and coconut

Responder a este comentario
    • 10 December 2013, 10:01 pm - Leslie

Joanne, that is absolutely the most useful piece of cooking advice I have read in years! I struggle with caramel, and have never found a good method. I will try again with your instructions as my guide. Thank you!

7. 31 December 2013, 9:29 pm - JB

I just made this yesterday, and the only thing left to do is pipe the whipped cream on top – can I do that a few hours before bringing it to a party, or is it best to pipe it on right before we leave?
    I just want to make sure it looks good on arrival!

Responder a este comentario

Talk now or forever hold your peace