Finally after 3 months I am able again to post new recipes. During this time I have suffered several hackers attacks, had to change servers twice, and have despaired many times. To you, hacker, all I have to say is that I hope you step on a lego. Barefoot.
Although I have not been able to share recipes here, I have been doing it through Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. That’s why today I am sharing with you not one but five new recipes: this mondrian cake I will refer to later, this chocolate log cake, these chocolate triangles, this homemade buns filled with Nutella and this Black Forest Cake.
This mondrian cake is a mixture of Baumkuchen , Battenberg cake and Sarawack Cake . And it is not difficult to do, despite what it may seem. It is only a bit laborious since the cake is baked layer by layer using the grill of the oven . The rest is a breeze , and below you will find a step by step with pictures should there be any doubts…
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30-45 min
- 250 g butter, room temperature
- 250 g sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 7 eggs (separate whites and yolks)
- 150 g flour
- 100 g corn starch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk (or jam, if you prefer!), hot
- 200 g chocolate chips
- 200 gr heavy cream
- 1 tbs butter
- Powdered unsweetened cocoa
- Stencil of your choice
- Preheat oven, grill function only. Cream the butter and sugar using an electric whisk, until light and fluffly. Add egg yolks, one at a time. Then combine in the flour and starch. On a different bowl, beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until firm, then fold the egg whites into the mixture. Divide de mixture in two. Add vanilla extract to one half, and cocoa to the other one. Grease and flour a 20 square cake mold or lay a piece of baking paper in the base.
Add a couple of tablespoons of white batter and spread in a thin layer on the bottom of the mold. Grill the layer for approximately 2/3 mins until the top of the layer is golden. Take the tin out of the oven and spread a couple more tablespoons of chocolate batter onto the first layer, repeat this process until all the batter is used up. Take out of the oven, wait 15 minutes before unmolding. Let it cool on a wire rack.
- Use a ruler to help you cut 6 slices each the same width as the sponge height. (2 you can reserve for other preparations). Take two slices, and glue them together by brushing some hot sweetened condensed milk (see pics). Alternate vertical lines horizontal lines. Cover with plastic wrap, and let it set for a couple of hours
- Then repare the chocolate ganache. In a saucepan, heat heavy cream . Add chocolate chips, let rest for a few minutes, and stirr until totally dissolved. Add 1 tbs butter and whisk until melted. Let the ganache fall over the cake (on a wire rack) until completely covered. Let it set (you can do it in the fridge for a couple of hours
- Once set, place a stencil on the cake, and dust some powdered cocoa to decorate. Serve
For the assembly:
- This cake has lots of butter so I do not recommend keeping it in the fridge, as the butter hardens and it is not so moist as it should be
- If you have prepared this recipe, and want to send me a pic and your comments, please use this form . If you wish to subscribe to receive my recipes in English please do it here
Autora : Sandeea Cocina Google+