I remember like it was yesterday the day that Pablo started school. He had always been a good baby. Perhaps too good for his own good. And I was really worried that he might suffer at school and not have sufficient resources to defend himself, or that at the age of 3 he would not able to tell me what was wrong, since he spoke so little …
Luckily he adapted very well. He has been happy at school from day one and still is: many people who know him would say that, by definition, Pablo is a happy child. Always smiling and happy.
Much of this is owed to Cristina: his teacher for three years, and that’s what the post today is about. I want to thank Cristina for the peace of mind I have enjoyed these three years knowing that Pablo was with her. Thank you very much Cristina for educating, caring for and loving Pablo all this time. For accepting him as he is, and encouraging him to be whatever he is meant to be. You are the best teacher in the world. We love you and you know you’ll always have a place in our hearts (and as Pablo tells you from time to time, at home and in the car too xD)
So today’s recipe is dedicated to you (no chocolate in it, just the way you like it!). And today I do not cook. Paul takes over to prepare these rainbow cupcakes that hopefully will enlighten your day.
The recipe is taken from a book that Pablo and I made for Imaginarium, which was published late last year. It’s called Happy Cupcakes and it is a cupcakes book for children, with 14 step by step recipes. In the 14 recipes you can see Pablo’s hands, preparing each and every one of the recipes. His chubby little hands, because when we did the book he was just 4 years old. Being a cookbook for kids, I tried to make them healthier than usual, reducing the amount of sugar and butter (some of the cupcakes carry no butter), avoiding artificial colors and incorporating fruits and vegetables to the cakes. So you can find for example:
1- Fried egg cupcakes: with yogurt and peach
2- Carrot cupcakes: with carrot
3- Easter cupcakes: with zucchini
4- Spaghetti and meatballs cupcakes: with berries and cream cheese
5- Mushroom cupcakes: with tuna and salad
6- Rainbow cupcakes: natural blue cupcakes, thanks to the combination of bluberries and baking soda
So, we hope you enjoy your cupcakes! We love you Cristina ♥
PD: After winning in Spain, and being shortlisted for the final in China, my book Las recetas de la felicidad won second price at the Gourmand book awards in Beijing 2014!!!! When it is reprinted, Las recetas de la felicidad will wear the sticker Best in the World“!
Prep time: 15 min
Cooking time: 15 min
Yield: 12 cupcakes
- 125 ml milk
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 80 g fresh washed blueberries
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 egg white
- 100 g sugar
- 40 g butter, soft
- 100 g flour
- 50 g confectioners’ sugar
- 50 g butter, soft
- 50 g cream cheese
- Rainbow candy stripes
Clouds and rainbow
- Preheat oven to 180 º C (350 ºF). Mix milk and lemon juice, and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Microwave bluberries for 30-45 seconds. Press the berries with a spoon, to extract the liquids.
- Add ½ tsp baking soda, and watch the colour change to deep blue! Reserve.
- Beat slightly egg white with sugar, and add soft butter. Now pour in buttermilk (milk + lemon juice), and blueberries. Mix until smooth.
- Add now flour, and stir until combined (the mix will be quite thin)
- Fill your cupcake molds ½ full, and bake for 10-12 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack.
- With an electric mixer, beat sugar with butter until creamy and smooth (it will be almost white). Add cream cheese, and beat until combined. Chill if necessary.
- Pipe some clouds on each cupcake. Cut the rainbow candy strip, and arch the rainbow candy strip into the white frosting.
- For better results, place the rainbow candy stripe just before serving
- If you want to buy a copy of my last book “Polos y Helados” (Spanish version) you can find it in Amazon Spain (ships worlwide), Amazon France, Amazon Italy, and Amazon Germany. I will let you know as soon as it is available in UK and US . If you want to buy a copy of my previous book “Las recetas de la felicidad” (Spanish edition) you can order it on Amazon Spain (They ship worldwide). Also to be found in Amazon France, Amazon Germany, Amazon Italy, Amazon USA and Amazon UK
- If you have prepared this recipe, and want to send me a pic and your comments, please use this form . If you wish to subscribe to receive my recipes in English please do it here
Autora : Sandeea Cocina Google+