Croquettes (croquetas) are a small, breaded and deep fried sort of fritter very popular in Spain. They are a sure hit as an appetizer or an afternoon snack. They are creamy and smooth inside, and have a crisp breadcrumb exterior. Croquettes are usually shaped by hand, but this time I decided to use a cookie cutter for a different twist on the recipe. Hope you like them!
Preparation time: 45 min
Cooking time: 15 min
- 4 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, finley chopped (or 1/2 onion)
- 200 g fresh mushrooms, finely chopped
- 100 g butter
- 150 all purpose flour
- 800-900 ml milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- extra virgin olive oil, for frying
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, and sauté the shallot until soft. Add chopped mushrooms, and sauté for 5 minutes more. Season with salt. Drain the liquid, and reserve both the mushrooms, and the liquid, which will be used to prepare the bechamel.
- In the same saucepan, heat the butter. Stir in the flour and let it cook briefly, then whisk in the liquid from the mushrooms and shallot sauté we had reserved before, and then add milk gradually, stirring constantly. When this has formed a thick bechamel add the mushrooms and mix.
- Spread the mixture in a moist large dish and put in the fridge until it is solid, for about 3 hours. (overnight would be best)
- When ready to fry the croquettes, beat the eggs in a shallow dish and place the breadcrumbs in another. With moistened mushroom cookie cutter, cut croquettes into mushrooms, and then dip each one first into breadcrumbs, then into the egg and then in the breadcrumbs again.
- Take care that they are well covered and leave to dry for about 15 minutes.
- Deep fry the croquettes in extra virgin olive oil for approx 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Set on a paper towel to absorb the excess oil. Serve immediately.
Autora : Sandeea Cocina Google+